CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Surviving

The other day I read somewhere that there are two simple ways of living. Of course there are more complex ways, but to be short and sweet and simple, you can usually break your life into two categories.

Surviving or thriving.

It said that you will go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth over the course of a lifetime. You may be just surviving for months at a time, then thriving for a few years, and back to surviving for awhile again.

Surviving can be classified as a tough spot. You're making it...but barely. Life is a bit challenging. There are more so-so days than there are great days. Instead of moving forward in life, you are at a stand still. Not moving backwards per say, but not making any head way.

Thriving is when everything is going just as it's supposed to. You feel like you are moving forward in life.

I mean think about it. That's pretty true. You are either surviving or thriving, right? One or the other.

I think back over my life, and I can see it clear as day. I know exactly when I was surviving and when I was thriving. I've gone back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

As much as I hate it, right now our family is merely surviving. We aren't making any head way, or really moving forward at the moment. Surviving isn't so much a bad thing. I mean, we aren't moving backwards, so that's a good thing.

But we're just...stuck. Stuck here in these days lately. So much has been laid upon my and Mr. Goose Poop's shoulders over the past few months. Situations that no family should have to go through. So much so, that all we can do at the moment is deal with what's been dealt to us, instead of focusing on moving forward...thriving. Thankfully, Mr. Goose Poop and I are on the same page about what needs to be done, and how we are going to deal with what's been given to us.

It's a tough spot, this surviving. The situations we are currently dealing with, they warrant our full attention. The kind where you need to pull up your big kid pants and deal with them. They were starting to affect our kids. And we can't let that happen. Thankfully, our marriage is strong, and we are able to shield our kids from these situations others are choosing to put us in. We need to protect them, so they aren't suffering. And in doing so, we are unable to thrive. We are merely able to survive.

I'm ok with it. I know we will be thriving again soon. I know this is a phase. A phase that will pass. A phase that will bring us that much closer to thriving again. It's in the cards. Maybe not the next card we draw, or even the one after that. But it's in the deck. Maybe in the middle, maybe at the end. But the thriving card is in there.

So for now, we play the surviving card. It's a humbling place to be. But we'll play, and we'll win. We'll beat the surviving card.


~Faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see~
~Hebrews 11:1
(This is one of my favorite bible verses. I have it painted in my stairway!)

2 comments:

Peach

I'm in the "just surviving" phase. I'm thankful our kids are too young to see me struggle so much, I couldn't imagine someone purposefully hurting someones family where kids could be hurt too.

Praying for you guys.

Tracy

Rachel, you are thriving more then you know!!...I admire you more then words can say...and I am so DAMN PROUD to call you my best friend in the entire universe!!...P.S. thanks for the tears!!

Post a Comment

C'mon...show me some love! Leave me a comment!