CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Things my Momma taught me....

My momma has taught me many-a things in my life. But there's one thing that's always stuck with me (beside the difference between your & you're and there, their & they're). I remember one Mother's Day, many moons ago, or was it her Birthday? Maybe it was Christmas? I guess it doesn't really matter, all I know is it was a time when I would be getting my momma a gift. I had had the gift in plenty of time before the day I was to give it to her, but it wasn't wrapped.  I think I went out with my friends the night before, woke up the next morning, probably late, and needing to get to mom's. But shit, the gift wasn't wrapped! I threw open the craft closet, pulled out the first roll of wrapping paper I found, and wrapped that sucker like a 4 year old.

When I got it to mom's, I put it on the gift table, and went on about my business visiting with family and friends. When it was time to open gifts, my gift to mom was falling apart. Tape was coming unstuck, and the end of the box was showing. I didn't think anything of it, I mean, it's what's in the box that counts right? But when it was time for my gift to be opened, mom noticed. She noticed that I took the time to pick the perfect gift for her, but didn't take the time to wrap it perfectly. 

Then she quietly told me, "Missy, never give a gift that isn't beautifully wrapped."

I'll never in my life forget those words.

I think of her every time I'm wrapping a gift.  Every time I'm half hazardly slopping a gift together before a birthday party and every time I'm making my own tissue & wrapping paper for a gift I'm giving.

She told me I just spent my time and energy picking out the perfect gift, or my creative ability to make something the "giftee" would love, so why would I just throw some Sunday Funnies on it?

Now, the gifts I wrap for loved ones come fancied out in homemade tissue paper and personalized gift wrap. There's usually fun embellishments attached to the top. I can see the look on my loved ones face when they get a gift from me. They know I took my time to make it something they'll love.  Thanks mom, for those words you spoke forever long ago.

Today is mom's birthday. I've spent weeks choosing the perfect gift. Things she'll love. Things that remind me of her. I've been challenging my creative mind to think of the best thing ever.

So I wanted to make sure the tape wouldn't unstick itself this year.



Happy Birthday Momma.  I love you with every fiber of my being.  Thank you for always being there, for always pulling me off the ground, for teaching me, for loving me.  You are a wonderful, beautiful, inspiring momma.  May God bless your next year of life, and may I grow up to be just like you. I love you!

1 comments:

Anonymous

Hi, Missy. I love you, too, and I'm so proud of who you are. But I need to set the record straight a tiny bit; it wasn't MY gift that wasn't beautifully wrapped. It was your dad's for Father's Day. And because he's always been such an awesome daddy, I didn't want it to seem you hadn't put in the effort to let him know how you feel about him. I know those words stuck with you all these years because EVERYONE who gets a gift from you is excited because they KNOW it will be beautifully wrapped (even if it's just a dollar store item in the box). Just like my gifts were lovingly made and beautifully wrapped this year. Thank you for all the things you are. I wuv ya. Momma

Post a Comment

C'mon...show me some love! Leave me a comment!